Monday, May 26, 2008

An adventure or two!

Ok, so I know this is titled 'the great adventures of me' and I haven't posted any yet so...here are some....

About two weeks ago, my friend Undrea and I had the opportunity to go to one of our teacher's houses and learn how to milk cows! First I must say I really wasn't sure what I was getting myself into but I went ready to learn :) So, I learned that cows are really really big, and very very dirty. But I am now an expert cow milker! My favorite part was milking the baby cow...he was only 2 days old and had to be milked with a bottle! We also got to feed some older calfs out of bucket...my calf did great, but Undrea's calf was a head butter and well milk went flying everywhere! Undrea and the calf were covered, the floor was covered and I had some one me...but the barn cats LOVED it!! My least favorite part was violating the cows when cleaning their utters before hooking them up to the milker machine.

Adventure two...
Well, it is Memorial Day weekend and I was stuck in Rexburg...partly due to homework and partly due to gas prices (it is $3.87 now!). Saturday I was tired of being in the apartment so I called Emily and we headed to Idaho Falls to check out the farmers market...not very impressive yet - I don't think the farmers have had enough warm weather for anything to grow yet! We will try again later next month. So with that disappointment... we decided to go to the IF zoo. Now this is no New Orleans or San Diego zoo, but it is better than the Hattiesburg zoo. However it was still pretty cool. We did hear the tigers fighting but they were hiding when we got to their exhibit. And there were two hairy camels that were shedding...kinda gross looking.

After the zoo we had a great burger in this hole in the wall place. We then started back to Rexburg but took the back way. It started pouring rain, which turned into slush. We came to a fork in the road where we decided to go left and ended up in 'famous' Victor Idaho. I am not sure why they are famous but that is what the sign said. Well, at this point we were less than 30 minutes from Jackson (Hole), Wyoming so we decided to head over them mountain. Towards the top of the pass, we encountered snow! It's the end of May...there is no need for anymore of that! Well, we walked around rainy Jackson where people were dressed like cowboys and like they were from the 1800's...very interesting. Then they were shooting guns in the town square. We started heading back to good ol Rexburg and as we were heading up the pass the snow was falling harder....and there was a couple of inches on the road! Not cool. I ended up skidding to the side of the road and the highway patrol man asked me if I knew what I was doing and I told him 'No, I am from Mississippi...we don't have snow or mountains there!' He just laughed at me and told me to put it in first and go slow down the mountain. So I did. With the weather as crazy as it has been, I am not going back until July! Here are some pics from that adventure!

No comments: