Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Happenings

Ok, sorry it took me awhile to realize that my last post was appearing in webdings...my mom kept telling me and I kept saying, it looks normal to me! and it did on my computer! So, the last post was about mid-term and that was really 4 weeks ago...the first 9 weeks ends next Wednesday! Good news, I lost 9 kids last week and gained 1. Now I am at 27 (which is state limit and in reality still TOO MANY kids in a kindergarten class). I did lose some of my lower ones so now I am only stressing about 9 kids, but we are making improvements! I was truly surprised today as I was giving a 9 weeks test and I was calling out letters for them to write - and one of my low ones got ALL of them! YES! at mid-term he only knew 3 letters! I wanted to do the happy dance.

Tomorrow I have a parent teacher conference about something that I am not happy about. I have twins in my room and this past Friday, they went home and told there mom that Ms. P (my assisstant) and I cursed them out and told them not to tell their mom. Really?!?! I was speechless when my principal called me in to ask me about it. Now let me give you a little history of the twins in the past 8 weeks....2nd week of school they tell their mom that everyone picks on them and no one plays with them - lie - I had the mom come observe and twin #1 was picking on two kids while she was there and during recess they played with most of the kids on the playground....3rd week of school twin #2 tells mom that Ms. P and I won't let him use the bathroom and said we said that we don't care if he pees on himself or not - lie - I explained to the mom that the students have free use of the bathroom in our room throughout the day and we go as a whole group after lunch, we only ask the kids if they can hold it if they ask during carpet time (which is when I am giving whole group lesson and I don't want kids constantly up and down - because if one goes they somehow all need to go) - now, if a kids says they can't hold it, we let them go. I don't want pee or other stuff on my carpet or anywhere in my room - gross- if I wanted to deal with human waste I would have a different profession. Now the lies had stopped until last week when on Wednesday twin #2 went home and told his mom Ms. P called him an a@#hole. Really? When did happen? P and I are together ALL day...if I had heard this I would have said something...so again - lie. Are we seeing a trend here?

I am quite upset about this whole thing. First where do the lies end? They are only getting worse. I don't want to talk to either of them in fear that they will fabricate what I say. I don't even want to give them a high 5 in fear that gets twisted around. So now I am getting to the point where I want as little interaction with them as possible...and they are in my room for 27 more weeks. What do I do?

Here is another problem with this situation. My principal told me to set up a conference with them mom so we can get to the bottom of this... done. When I asked my principal to sit in on the conference for another set of ears and support..her reply "Why don’t you plan to meet. We can strategize about who would be good to sit with you." (Reply taken from email from principal who told me to email time and date of conference to her). Really? is that beating around the bush, why don't you just tell me no? Ok, blow to the stomach taken...you don't support me or care. Not really surprised. Monday I asked the assistant principal...her reply "I really don't want to, find someone else if you can". Seriously? another sucker punch. Ok neither of my administration support P and I in this situation. So I asked the guidance counselor who was more than happy to sit in on the conference. I was talking with a friend about this and she said to call the superintendent and have him sit in on the conference... I would do that but DW (principal) would make my life a living you know what. She is a beast. That is being nice. I really don't want to rock the boat because DW has been known to not give good recommendations to those who do. I want/need a good recommendation because I am not renewing my contract next year. (That's my plan/thought at the moment - nothing set in stone - no final decisions made yet) Maybe not the smartest move in a down economy but I can sub (not in JPS) and move home if need. (My mom might groan a little, but she would be REALLY excited to have me back home- she misses me). I am also starting my move towards my masters... LSU looks like my school of choice (that's Louisiana State University for those not from the South). Leaving this school is a good thing - I am pretty sure - just thinking about it makes me feel a little less stressed. You know it's getting bad when a veteran teacher (20 years) wants to transfer to another school in the district.

So this is my delimma ...feedback?

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Maybe twins are just liars. Kim and I certainly are. Okay...jk, but seriously...WOW. You are so brave...I'd probably feel so overwhelmed I'd just cry everyday. Crazy that you have no support from people with higher authority. Lame. Hope it all works out okay and that you find a new job somewhere you love. You deserve wonderful things Sara Mason!