...that is the best way to eat a crawfish!
Last weekend I went to visit my mom at work. She told me Diane was boiling some crawfish and asked if I wanted some. It sounded good (and since I haven't had crawfish in since before Hurricane Katrina, it sounded really good!) so she went and got me some. They were still hot and the spices were just right! Now when I mean right, I mean my lips were still tingling for at least 30 minutes after and my nose was running like a faucet! When my family boils crawfish, we use this stuff called "Dump", it's all the spices you need and you just dump it in the pot. It consists of LOTS of cayanne pepper and I don't know what else...probably some garlic powder, onion powder and stuff like that. You will know if your crawfish is spiced right by how your lips tingle and nose runs! When you boil crawfish you always throw potatoes, corn, garlic (the whole bulb thing), saugage (or hotdogs), lemons, and I really like artichokes, into the pot to soak up the spices!
First you find the biggest one
Then you pinch the tail off... don't throw it away!
Next you suck all the juices out of the head (sounds gross but it is so good!)
Then you peel the tail and pinch it at the end to get the meat out
Now you may need a sip of a cold beverage or you dive in for another!!!!







2 comments:
I can't do it, Sara. Those things look too darn scary and ugly just sitting there. The first time I saw them was in New Orleans and nope...couldn't do it. Sorry...so glad you like 'em though! Also I can't take cayenne pepper so they are a double strike out for me. Now if whatever they have on the inside was in something and the body was nowhere to be seen..maybe, if you didn't tell me what I was eating until after the fact! It would still have to be light on the pepper though.
that doesn't sound that appetizing...maybe I will try it when we live in texas together
Erica
Post a Comment