What! Today, January 19th is National Popcorn Day! Hooray!

I really LOVE popcorn. It is my favorite snack eat. It is good anytime of the day. It is easy to make...air popped or microwaved. You can add toppings to it like butter or cheese or mini m&m's (it's good trust me)- or whatever you want to add to it! I like butter popcorn but the BEST kettle corn I have ever had, is from this farmers market in (or close to) Concord, CA... seriously, I have been on the hunt for the past 3 years to find kettle corn this good.

Now, I found these really cool facts about popcorn that I would like to share with you and to expand your knowledge of popcorn (in case you didn't know these things)... I found them interesting so I hope you do too!
- Popcorn was first discovered thousands of years ago by the Native Americans, who believed that the popping noise was that of an angry god who escaped the kernel
- During the Great Depression, popcorn was comparatively cheap at 5-10 cents a bag and became popular. Thus, while other businesses failed the popcorn business thrived and became a source of income for some struggling farmers.
- During World War II, sugar rations diminished candy production causing Americans to eat three times more popcorn than they had before
- Popcorn is usually served salted or sweetened. In North America, it is traditionally served salted, although a sweetened version, generally called caramel corn, is also commonly available. In the United Kingdom, ready-made popcorn is available either salted or simply sweetened with sugar, both varieties being equally popular.Toffee (i.e. caramel) popcorn is also available, but tends to be more expensive. Popcorn is a popular snack at sporting events and in cinemas, where it has been served since 1912.
- Popcorn, threaded onto a string, is used as a wall or Christmas tree decoration in some parts of North America, as well as on the Balkan peninsula.
- Some shipping companies have experimented with using popcorn as a biodegradable replacement for expanded polystyrene packing material. However, popcorn has numerous undesirable properties as a packing material, including attractiveness to pests, flammability, and a higher cost and greater density than expanded polystyrene. A more processed form of expanded corn foam has been developed to overcome some of these limitations.
- The world's largest popcorn ball was unveiled in October 2006 in Lake Forest, Illinois. It weighed 3,415 pounds (1550 kilograms), measured 8 feet (2.4 m) in diameter, and had a circumference of 24.6 feet
Don't forget how great popcorn balls are! Don't these look YUMMY???

As I was looking up different things about popcorn, I ran across these websites with popcorn recipes... some sound good, others well, not so good.
So to celebrate National Popcorn day, I want you to pop your favorite kind of corn and enjoy a good movie!
POP! POP! POP!
POP! POP! POP!







2 comments:
i love you
and your crazy little posts about popcorn and the sun setting in the east.
:O)
You've made Concord a brighter place on the map. Hope you are well.
love, Bonnie
Post a Comment