Finally I have internet! WOO HOO! I am now in Jackson, MS and am sorta settled in. I still have boxes to unpack, yes I know I have been here for 3 weeks now, but I have not stopped in that time. You can read the whirl wind apartment hunting story in my blog called Found It. Well, that happened on a Monday, my mom and I drove home that night, I started packing. On Tuesday, my mom and I went furniture/antique shopping all day long for my apartment. We had great success. We found a mini couch with a pull out twin bed and a drop leaf dining set. I packed my car until the wee hours Tuesday night and first thing Wednesday morning I left for Jackson. I packed my car with the things I would need for a week. My mom was brining up all my furniture the following Wednesday.
I made it to Jackson around 2pm, about 2 hours later than I had planned, thanks to a traffic accident. I hurried to unpack the inside of my car before I had to go downtown to Central Office to complete all of my paperwork. Did I mention it was 104 degrees that afternoon? So I was red faced and sweaty to do my paperwork. Luckily it took awhile so my face returned to normal paleness before I had to take my badge picture. After doing all that, I returned to my apartment to unload my trunk. Finally I was all unpacked and in my apartment, that had nothing in it. I did bring my little tv and dvd player, but I forgot the box with all my dvd's in it, so I headed to Target to buy some movies. I spent the first night (and week) sleeping on an air mattress, which the first time I didn't fill up enough and could feel the floor when I laid down. Oh joy.
Thursday morning, I started my job. We had in service meetings all day and I was able to meet my aid, Ms Pate. She is very nice and helpful. Friday I had meetings for new teachers about the EnVisions math program (which I sat through 3 days of training during student teaching because it was new in the Las Vegas district) and the reading program (which I had also already had training on), so needless to say I was bored out of my mind all day. I really could have used the day to work in my classroom. I did get to work in it on Monday for most of the day and on Tuesday for half the day. Ms Pate did a lot while I was at my meetings on Friday!
School began on Wednesday and I had 28 students, with 3 no shows. It was a hectic day. I had parents in the room until 10am....apparently this is normal at this school. I was ready for them to be out of there before 9am! Most of the day was filled with putting supplies in bags (some students will be shipped out after Labor Day and we have to send their supplies with them) and getting to know each other and the rules. Really the rest of the week was the same way. I was relived to come home Wednesday and find my mom and Dwight had all my furniture moved in and arranged! What a relief! To be honest, I don't think I would have been much help to them. We then went to this mexican restaurant down the street and it was so stinkin good!
Last week was the first full week and I am now up to 33 students! And I have heard a rumor today that I will be getting another one tomorrow! Do you know how hard it is to keep 33 five year olds quiet and on task? I should be thankful that out of the 33, I only have 4 that are my biggest challenges (behavior wise). I am working on them. So far one has improved and another has made progress. The other two ... well I am praying for them! Last Thursday, I had to call 5 parents because of behavior. There is a silver lining to this... today was much much much better!! I feel they are starting to adapt to the routine of the day. so that is a good thing.
I am sure I will have many stories to share this year. Right now most of the class is sick. I just love runny noses! NOT! Today we worked on the concept of covering our mouths when we cough and noses when we sneeze. We also had a lesson on not asking permission to get a kleenex when it is HIGHLY need. One little girl would sneeze, say Ms Mason, I would look at her, and she would point to her (need of a kleenex) nose. So GROSS! I think I was putting hand sanitizer on about every 5 minutes today. Oh and did I mention I woke up without a scratchy/hoarse voice this morning. I think it is due to the change in weather. Oh that is another silver lining....the high today was in the low to mid 80's and it was 58 when I left my apartment at 6 this morning! I think Fall could be just around the corner! YAY!!!!
Well, that is all for now... I hope yall have a FANTASTIC night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
Hooray for an update! I've just been wondering about you Miss Mason...that totally has a ring to it! We're moving out this week, but I definitely need to call you soon. Love your guts!
Post a Comment