Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Pip Squeek

So, Kiwi the cat is a grand hunter. She loves to hunt lizards, rodents, birds, frogs and snakes. She she catches something, she will play with it until it is dead and then she will leave it in the garden for my mom to find. When she does this we praise her for being such a good hunter. It is better for the snakes and rodents to be dead than in the yard. We do fuss at her when she kills a bird, especially when she jumps up and catches one as it is feeding on the feeder.

The other day, Kiwi killed a baby vole, it is a rodent but fuzzier and they won't come in your house. I am not a fan of rodents but if I had to have some, I would choose the vole becasue I know I won't ever see it running across my kitchen. Well, later that evening, Kiwi found another baby vole. She had played with it and left it, so I figured it was dead. I got the shovel to throw it in the garbage and when I touched it, it started running around! Yikes! I ran inside and got a towel and put it in a box. Once that was done, I started thinking, crud now what do I do with it? I don't know where the cat found it. It's tiny and its eyes are barely open. I really really really don't want a pet rodent. I don't want to just give it to the cat to finish it off. I felt kinda sorry for it. Then a lightbulb came on. I ran inside and grabbed my phone. I called Jenny, my friend that is now a vet and rescues wild life. I got in touch with her and she said to keep it warm and to bring it to her at the clinic in the morning. Ok, problem solved. And I named it Pip. I took it to Jenny and I haven't talked to her to see if it survived or not...oh well at least I tried to save it.

Here is Pip...I think it is so cute because it is so tiny...




I made Kiwi apologize to Pip before I brought it to Jenny

2 comments:

The Shields Family.... said...

Ok you can truly see how small it is when you hold it up to the cat!! How cute!! :-D

Emily said...

Oh Sara Mason, you just make me smile! Way to save little Pip. You're pretty much a hero!! :)