For the oh so welcomed long weekend, I headed down to the coast for the weekend. I mostly laid low, hanging out with some family. But mostly hanging out with my mom. I got home late Friday night, due to my stop in Sumrall. I mean I couldn't drive right by Leanne's house without stopping! And let's face it, our visits are never brief, even after 12+ years of a friendship. So by the time I got home on Friday, the night was shot and both my mom and I were ready for bed. On Saturday my mom had to work and I went shopping in Gulfport. I bought some ober foxy black dressy sandals at Hudson's for $4 a pair (whoop whoop - great deal!) and came really close to spending A LOT of money at Belks - they had an additional 50% off their clearance. However, I resisted and left there empty handed. I did browse Books A Million and Barnes and Nobels for many hours. I stopped by and visited with Kelly, Frankee and Jayden. Kelly texted me later that night and told me that as he was going to bed, Jayden told her "I love my Sara"...my heart melted... I love that cute red headed little boy. I went home and my mom and I went to dinner with Dwight. Good times. Sunday was the only full day my mom and I had together so we decided to drive into New Orleans. It rained the WHOLE way into the city. Luckily the sun appeared just as we were about to make our first stop and stayed away until we were walking back to the car at the end of our day...what luck!
Our first stop was this place we saw on Drive Ins, Diners and Dives on Food Network. It is called the Creole Creamery. Can I say YUMMY! I don't know what is up with me lately, but I have been craving ice cream. Maybe it's the job. The Creole Creamery is located at Upperline and Pyrtania in the Garden District/Uptown off of Napoleon (for those who want to go give it a whirl when they are in the Big Easy). It is in what used to be an old McKenzies Bakery...they still have the neon sign lit up on the front of the building. 
My mom had a waffle cone filled with Bananas Foster ice cream and I had I scream fudge sundae. Oh my let me tell you about it... the cup was coated in fudge, with 2 scoops of I scream fudge ice cream, more fudge, chunks of dark dark chocolate, whipped cream and a cherry. I looked at it and chocolate coma came to mind. But I dove in...but I couldn't finish it. I am not the biggest chocolate fan either, but this is what I wanted...
Here is the inside of the shop...so cute...
And this was on the wall. I think it will be my new motto...
After that yummy lunch....er... treat, we headed down to the Quarter. We went to the French Market, went in and out of shops, looked at all the art hanging up in Jackson Square... then we headed back home. Here are some pictures from the Quarter...



Lazy afternoon at the Market
Good Eats
Do not put your hand in his mouth!
Some super yummy smelling candles made in New Orleans
An artist...

...and her art.
Voodoo Groove
The famous hearse covered in trinkets such as watches, happy meal toys, beads...you name it, it's glued on it!

Give a donation...get a postcard...awesome!
Who doesn't love nuns on a bike jammin some music?
Nothing like a good Drag Queen getting his/her groove on at the Daquari shop...seriously, we were walking by and I saw this out of the corner of my eye and had to stop and take a picture with yall... we saw him later on in Jackson Square too...his momma must be so proud
The rest of the weekend was quiet... I had a date and hung out with some more family. It was a good weekend over all!
3 comments:
jealous. all i have to say. you owe me chocolate coma.
ok, now i'm really done.
:O)
oh and a trip to the zoo and the french market and beignets.
now i'm really really done.
;O)
What a fun weekend for you! Ahhh, the Big Easy! Loved the French market photos and the flying nuns! How funny!
About the pumpkins...I will have to have Laura tell you how she and Jen did those little ones but I have done the larger pumpkins before by cleaning out the seed and stringy stuff, putting a little oil on the outside, putting the lid back on and wrapping the step in foil. Then you just bake them for about an hour at 350. The times I have done it I have added a hamburger, Spanish rice kind of a casserole into it. It is then a dinner in a pumpkin...very fun for kids! And yummy too.
Post a Comment