Monday, May 10, 2010

Natural Science Museum Field Trip

At the end of April, the Kindergarten classes embarked on another field trip...now we had 4 planned but only went on 2. Sketchy. We were supposed to go to the zoo at the end of this month but we were told by our principal that we couldn't because of dates and buses, blah, blah, blah. Excuses. Whatever, I'm over it. After the Science Museum, I really don't think I would have wanted to go to the zoo anyways...27 wild kids with 2 adults and no parent volunteers. I would probably end up leaving a few there. I feel like I work in a zoo on some days - it just smells better, sometimes!

The science museum was really cool. I want to go back when there aren't 3 other elementary schools, a couple of middle schools and some high school kids there. It was like a zoo that day and those stinkin middle school and high school kids kept getting in front of my little guys and they couldn't see the exhibits. RUDE. I'll be honest, I was ready to go and have a nap less than 30 minutes after we got there! It was so exhausting trying to keep up with all of them with all those other people there. But I had a great idea...we made a train. I made everyone put there hands on the shoulders of the person in front of them and told them they couldn't break the train ... it worked! Also it made it easy to mow people down with a train of 25 kids!

They have a cool aquarium area with all the wildlife that is native to Mississippi. They also had a 2 headed snake! Gross but cool. They didn't have other living wild life, but they had fossils and stuffed animals and an awesome nature trail. I don't think some of the kids had ever been in "nature" like that before. We also had a class photo taken with Smokey the Bear - sweet! After we spent about 2 1/2 hours in the museum we had lunch under the pavilion and then played a rousing game of duck, duck, goose. Good times, good times. After lunch we hopped on the bus and went downtown to the art museum to the free exhibit and had a look around. All the schools in Jackson Public Schools had to do an exhibit for the Ask for More Arts program. It was really cool to see all the different things that were done. Then we headed back to school just in time to miss the horrid weather that was passing through. The power even went off at school! Luckily it was only off for 10 minutes and came on just in time for dismissal! Here are some pictures of our field trip... ENJOY!!!
We are so excited...Aidan and Jayda LOVE field trips!!!
Brandon doesn't look as excited as Richard and Camden but he really is.
Zyria, Kira and Lewis are ready to go!
Lanyia, Braylan and I waiting for the bus to head out.
Dead giant sea turtle from the dinosaur days
Creepy... two headed snake found in Mississippi ... and it's still alive!
Choo! Choo!
The Pearl River fish tank was a BIG hit!
Oh! Look at that one, up close and personal.
Posing with the frog
Ribbit! Ribbit!
Could it be the frog prince?
Lazy Gator, hanging out in the afternoon sun
Smokey the Bear says "Only YOU can prevent forest fires"
Staring contest...I won, the bear had no chance.
Duck, Duck (Richard in the stinky pot - that is what they call the middle when you get caught)
GOOSE!!
Run, Nadeia, Run!
Heading home... 3 minutes later they were all zonked out
Three little boys up to no good.

1 comment:

The Shields Family.... said...

Ok I can not even imagine 25 kids I am tired after taking my two kids to places like that!! LOL But it looks like it was fun! :-D