Thursday, May 20, 2010

And they pulled it off...whew!

Tonight was the Kindergarten PTA program. Exciting, yes. Nerve racking, YES!! We have been practicing (the whole kindergarten...all 135 kids) since last week. After 7 practices, it wasn't any better than the first, sigh. Kids would say their speaking parts, then sing a song, then ALL the kids would start talking to each other, kids would say their parts (you couldn't hear them due to the talking), they would sing, talking would resume...this goes on for 7 songs. I think Dr. Rigby (music teacher) was going to pop a vein in his head from yelling "WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!" "QUIT TALKING!!" 'BOYS AND GIRLS...SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!" (Yes I know you shouldn't say shut up, but being polite and using kind words doesn't work with these street smart kids)

Tonight we were all holding our breaths. The kids arrived in our classrooms at 5:30 and they were WILD. You would have thought they haven't seen each other in 50 years when it had only been 3 hours since school got out. But they were all dressed up and looked so good. Here is most of my class. I had 22 out of 27 show up ( the most out of all 5 classes! Yes!). I took a picture and my camera died so these are from my phone. A few more showed up after I took this.

Yes, Camren is in a zoot suit and completely in a striking a GQ pose.

Now getting all the kids on stage and quietly was a challenge. I swear they are the most talkative group of kids EVER...maybe it is because they don't get much social interaction outside of school/daycare or maybe they have no self control or who knows but the silence of my apartment everyday is welcoming! We finally got them quiet and the curtains opened...I think they were a bit shocked with all the people. Oh can I brag that this was the biggest turn out to a PTA program this year?!?!?! There were only a few problems with a few kids wanting to play while on stage but overall the program was GREAT!! I went out and stood in the audience for awhile to watch. I was proud!

It's blurry but it was the best I could get with the kids moving and people walking in front of me.

After we went back to the room and gave out diplomas. Now I am on the count down... 7 more school days left!!!

1 comment:

laura.elizabeth said...

Awesome Sara! Those kids are so lucky to have you. I am guess school is out by now- have a GREAT summer!