Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mississippi

I love taking pictures by the welcome signs as you enter each state...it's pretty much one of the greatest things to do on a road trip. I have always like the sign as you enter Mississippi (not that I am particle to the state or anything). Now over the years, it has pretty much been the same thing...a warm welcome to the state of Mississippi...
This is the sign from when I was younger
This was the sign that was in place for the longest time
This was the most recent sign... It really is like coming home when you cross that line

So as you can see the past 3 signs have been quite inviting...they are almost like getting a hug of hospitality as you enter the state.
Well I guess someone decided that Mississippi is no longer like coming home.
There is now a new state sign as you come into the state...
Sorry it's blurry, I was zooming by at 75 as I took this picture.
Welcome to Mississippi - Birthplace of America's Music
What??!!??!?!?!?
Aren't we the hospitality state? Shouldn't the sign be more inviting like signs in the past?
Now, I know that many GREAT singers have come from Mississippi
Elvis
Bo Diddley
Faith Hill
BB King
John Lee Hooker
Chris Ledoux
3 Doors Down
Tammy Wynette
Howlin Wolf
Muddy Waters
Ike Turner
Conway Twitty
Leanne Rimes
Jimmy Buffett
Lance Bass

So as I was looking more into this Birthplace of America's music and I found this blog on it
Birthplace of America's music
it is pretty interesting
So this is my little rant on this subject...
I guess Mississippi can be the hospitality state and the birthplace of America's music

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Sara I would really like to see some photos of the reconstruction sometime. I have nightmares about all that rubble after Katrina. Always think of that little town between Long Beach and you guys where they had the antiques shops, the knitting store and the little beach front mom and pop restaurant. Is anything recovering from the devastation yet?? My favorite restaurant of all time was in that antique collective. boohoo!