Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Bestie Came to Town!!

At the end of April, my bestie, Lynley, came to town...all the way from St. George, Utah. I was lucky enough to steal her away from her family for a day and a half. First on Thursday, O and I drove up to Hattiesburg to have dinner with L. We went to our favorito mexicano restauranto. El Mariachi Loco in Petal!!! Yum Yum Yum! I was also able to go up Sunday and spend the night at her parents casa. We spent all day Monday together.

First we had breakfast at Wards....they seriously have the best breakfast (for a fast food place)
crispy bacon, buttery biscuit, delicious grits and eggs!
Then we drove a bit north to the Watermelon Patch. A building in the middle of nowhere on the highway that has hundreds and hundreds of shoes! We must have spent at least an hour trying on shoes. I had some pretty good willpower and walked out empty handed. L bought a new pair of shoes for work.

Then we drove back to Hattiesburg, where we went "treasure hunting" at Hudson's Dirt Cheap and Hudson's Treasure Hunt. At Dirt Cheap we found books (young adult, hardback) for 50 cents each! I bought 14!! At Hudson TH, they had thousands of DVD's for 70%off ... score! I bought 2 seasons of Gilmore Girls ($10 each) and 8 other movies (none over $3 and some were new releases)...I was a happy girl at this point.
Then we had lunch at A&B Chinese Takeout. It is off a main road and is a hole in the wall place...but it is seriously the best Chinese. Hmmm... now I am wanting some.

I had Mandarin Chicken and L had some yummy chicken that I am going to get next time.
Our next adventure of the day took us to the Coast. L needed to get some souvenirs for some people back in St. George so we hit up the souvenir shops...no luck so we went to Walmart. We did drive over to Long Beach where we made a stop at the USM Gulf Coast campus to visit the Friendship Oak. This is one of my favorite trees. *cool fact about this tree, there is an oak tree in Aunt Kim and Marks yard that is a sapling from this tree...it is about 40 years old and is tall and beautiful...I wonder if it will look like it's "mom" 400 years from now?*
It's a 500+ year old Live Oak. Now it is said (and there is a plaque so it is true) that those that enter the shadows of the tree will remain friends throughout their lifetime.



After we finished hanging out on the Coast we drove back to Hattiesburg. We said our goodbyes and I drove back to the Coast. I wish L lived closer. It was great when I was in Vegas and she was less than 2 hours away. Now she is looking at moving to Logan for grad school and I am heading to Houston. Oh the places life takes us.

2 comments:

The Shields Family.... said...

I want a ward's chilli cheese burger!!! EMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lynley said...

you're so great. it was such a blast to come home and hang out and eat the best food in the world (including my mom's home cooked meals) with the best company in the world.

thanks for posting about me. i feel special.

:O)