Thursday, July 24, 2008

Moose Finder Extrodinaire


Well, a few post ago I told yall how I saw my first moose ever, well as of yesterday make it 2 moose! After I dropped my mom and Nana off at the airport in Jackson Hole, I was very sad and teary so I decided to go up to Jenny Lake and sit there for awhile enjoying the view of the Tetons over the lake. However, I had forgotten that Jenny's lake is in Teton National Forest and it is $25 to get in...sitting by the lake isn't worth $25 right now. But I was in this great town (if you can call it that - it did have a post office), Moose Junction...great name! There was a road that went from Moose Junction to Teton Village, which I wanted to go to to check out the shopping. The road was small and windy and went right through the forest and the weather was great about 68 degrees, perfect for driving with the windows down and enjoying nature. Well I came around a bend and there was this small river and what did I see in the distance...a tall brown animal, could it be a moose? I thought - It was!!! So I drove a bit more and came to this spot where I could pull over and see the moose better. I was way excitied to see the moose this close since the other one was about 300 feet or so away. I got out of my car and walked down to the bank of the river really got up close and personal with the moose...about 30 feet away from it! I know this is very dangerous and silly but I was so excited and it was just eating, completely ignoring me (well it look at me twice) and the other 10 or so people that joined me after awhile.

Now the moose was not the only cool wildlife I saw on this great little road...I saw a black bear, my pictures didn't come out because it was too far in the brush and you couldn't tell it was a bear...and I wasn't getting out of my car to get closer for a picture. I did see a deer family...the papa deer is the first picture and the momma and baby deer are the second...the baby still has its spots!

I then saw a coyote but it wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get a picture other than its hind side...oh well. Oh! That morning on the way to the airport we did see antelople (lots of them - and many mommas with twins!) and a flock of grouse that were chilling in the road and I almost took them all out with my car..not on purpose though! So, that was my great wildlife spotting of the day!

No comments: